Newsflash! Every year is number. They are manmade figments of our imagination in order for people of the world to make sense of the passages of light and darkness, while spinning on this blue marble. This planet which is, in fact, only a pin-prick of planets and other stuff in a multi-verse of planets, moons, stars, supernovas, black holes and other things. It’s just a number, people.
And if this number was indeed not as productive as we wanted it to be, it was not the man made numbers’ fault. It was the fault of lazy, incompetent, men, women and government employees that just didn’t care enough and didn’t deliver again. Full stop, end of discussion! I am so sick and tired of people blaming everything else for their failures and incompetencies. It seems when they have no one else to blame they blame a flippen number. They blame the year! The mind boggles.
Now you may have had someone dear to you pass away in 2016. If this did occur, then you have my genuine, deepest, condolences. My father passed away in 2014. My aunt in 2015 and I lost a dear, dear friend in 2016. Death is not a stranger to me. It was however not the fault of 2014, 2015 or 2016. My Dad and Rod got cancer; my aunt was assaulted and got a brain hemorrhage. Bad, sad, horrible sh#t happens. It happens all the time, it’s called life on earth, it sucks, it’s sad, but the year has nothing to do with it.
This year is going to be as successful and happy as you make it with the exception of unforeseen tragedies that may or may not take place, and that’s not the focus of our discussion.
The one saving grace we all have is that most people seem to gear themselves up for having a great New Year. The Whatsapp’s, text messages and emails all indicate that people are extremely positive to welcome in a brand new year. So we seem to be off to a good start, but what are you going to do to make sure that this year is everything that you want it to be?
- Have you sat down and looked at all 8 areas of your life and have you decided what you want all of them to look like by the end of the year?
- Have you looked at your bank account, after the pounding it has just taken and decided what it will look like in December 2017? Have you designed a plan of how you are going to make it look more like your current waistline? Have you decided, and do you have a strategy on how you can get your current waistline looking more like your current bank balance?
- Have you looked at your marriage or your relationship and asked yourself what it’s going to look like and what experiences you’re going to have with your loved one this year?
- Have you decided what qualifications you are going to up skill yourself with this year?
- Have you taken stock of the people in your life who are literally sucking the life and the energy out of you and have you decided to give them a miss?
- How are you going to get involved with your community this year? Are you going to get involved with a community forum? Are you going to walk across the road and introduce yourself to your neighbour, swap phone numbers and commit to keep an eye out for each other?
- Have you created a fun to do list? Have you sat down with your family and decided what things you are going to do on a monthly basis that you all enjoy? Or have you planned a massive holiday to work towards?
- At work, have you set new targets and goals and have you worked out a strategy on how you are going to achieve them?
- Are you going to finally finish that book, you know the one you had been busy writing in your mind for the past five years?
I have written about this many times before and it is the basis of everything I speak about, what are you going to do to make the year a number that you won’t forget for all the good reasons?
You see every year is just a number. In fact years aren’t even “things” they are just a counting apparatus, we (or rather, a certain religious sect) have constructed in order to make sense of “time”. And don’t get me started on “time”. You know the other man made concept, which was based on the earth’s rotations and revolutions, that never really adds up, so we have to “create” leap years and adjust clocks every now and again?
Oh and what time is it now? Look at your watch or phone. Is it really? How can it be? Because as soon as you look at it, and announce what time it is, it is no longer that time. As you say that time, you will see that that time passes. So is there really time? As the old Sage said, “the funny thing is that you think you have time!” Or do you just have NOW?
The number is not important and that number holds no magical power, you hold the magical power. It’s what you do that creates the magic and generates the power. So get busy. Get busy having fun, living your life, loving, giving, learning, growing, exercising, experiencing, caring, working, achieving, laughing so that at the end of this “number” you will be so busy living you won’t even notice.